Find answers to the most frequently asked questions about garage doors by browsing through our list of questions. When you find the question you want to ask, click on it, and the answer will appear.
How do I clean my pre-finished steel Wayne Dalton garage door?
Please follow the following guidelines for cleaning your pre-finished steel garage door:
- Clean the door with a mild detergent solution consisting of one cup detergent (with less than 0.5% phosphate) dissolved into five gallons of warm water will aid in the removal of most dirt
- Clean behind weather-strips on both sides and top of door
- Use your bare hands to feel and dislodge any caked on particles
- Use a soft, grit-free cloth, sponge or chamois to wipe the surface
- Dry with a clean damp chamois
- DO NOT USE A PRESSURE WASHER ON YOUR DOOR!
- DO NOT Use detergents containing greater than 0.5% phosphate
- NEVER mix cleansers or detergents with bleach
- DO NOT use hard or rough cloths that will scratch the acrylic glazing
- DO NOT use any window cleaning fluids, scouring compounds, gritty cloths or solvent-based cleaners of any kind
How do I clean my wood Wayne Dalton garage door?
Yearly cleaning and inspection of your wood garage door is easy. If the finish appears to be in good condition, cleaning and touch-up work is often adequate.
1. Remove dirt, chalk and mildew by washing your wood door with a diluted solution of mild household detergent at a concentration of one (1) cup in five (5) gallons of warm water.
2. Rinse with clear water after washing and allow to dry completely. 1) If the finish is badly eroded and thin, clean the areas where the wood substrate is showing through as described above and prime those areas using an oil/alkyd primer. Follow the cleaning and priming with a complete priming and finish coating. 2) If there is no bare wood showing through, only a finish coat may be required. Review your Maintenance Brochure for detailed instructions and information on cleaning and maintenance of your wood door; improper finishing may void your warranty.
How do I paint my pre-finished steel garage door to match my home's color?
To prepare your pre-finished steel garage door for painting, it is important to give it a good cleaning, but do not wax. Remove surface wax to prevent the paint from peeling or flaking.
Remove surface scratches which have not exposed the metal substrate by lightly buffing or sanding with 0000 steel wool or No. 400 sand paper to create a smoother surface for painting. Do not over buff or sand the garage door, because paint will not adhere to the door if the surface is too smooth. Do not attempt to remove scratches if your steel door surface has a finish painted texture representing wood grain, stucco, etc. because of the increased danger of exposing the metal substrate. Simply paint them with a high quality metal primer. Follow drying time on primer can label before applying topcoat. To prevent rust from forming, treat any scratches that have exposed the substrate by sanding the exposed area lightly and then painting with a high quality metal primer. Follow drying time on primer can label before applying topcoat.
After properly preparing the surface according to the above instructions and allowing it to dry thoroughly, coat the door with a premium quality latex house paint. Follow the paint label directions explicitly.
Oil base paint is not recommended. Note that if substrate is exposed, painting with latex paint may cause accelerated rusting of steel. Follow previous instructions on priming the door for painting. Review your Maintenance Brochure for more detailed instructions and information on cleaning and maintenance of your steel door; improper finishing may void your warranty.
How do I process a warranty claim?
You must contact an authorized Wayne Dalton dealer for warranty determination.
How important is insulation in a Wayne Dalton garage door?
Insulation is important in a garage door for many reasons. In addition to helping control the temperature, Wayne Dalton's patented design and foamed-in-place insulation add strength to your door while reducing noise.
The amount of insulation a garage door provides is represented in its R-value, which is its resistance to heat flow. It is important to select a garage door with an R-value that is consistent with your local climate and lifestyle. In addition, insulation helps reduce the noise of your garage door as it opens and closes.
I purchased a door through a Wayne Dalton Dealer / retailer. How do I get missing parts?
For missing garage door parts, you must return to the place of purchase.
How can I find out if my garage door meets wind load requirements?
The best way to find out if your garage door meets wind load requirements is to do the following:
- Check with a local architect, engineer, or building official to verify what the requirements are for your home.
- Verify with your insurance company to see if they have any additional requirements or to receive appropriate discounts.
- Contact a local Wayne Dalton dealer to inspect your door.
Call A Local Dealer